Contributed by: Cindy Wang Kohlhepp, MA
One of our (Ashley and me) biggest struggles when starting out as new O&M instructors was creating appropriate goals for our students, especially for our students with multiple disabilities. There are plenty of goal banks out there online, but we had a hard time finding goals that suited the types of students we had. We often found ourselves texting each other as well as other people in our cohort for advice or for examples of goals we’ve written. We wished there was a goal bank where we could easily search for the type of goal we wanted or at least a goal that was related to what we wanted.
The other struggle we found was keeping up with data collection. It’s hard to find ready-to-use data sheets online when O&M goals are so specific! And it was such a drag to have to make a data sheet for each individual student. Between working with students and going to IEP meetings, the last thing we wanted to do was sit down and make data collection sheets. On top of that, it seemed like there was a rarity of auto-fill data sheets. We just thought how it would be much easier if we could punch in numbers and have an excel sheet calculate the data for us.
And that’s why we decided to make a collaborative goal bank with data sheets, with the help of our friends at Intrepid Insight! Just like how O&M’s can share their lesson ideas to Cane and Compass, we can now also share our goals and data sheets! We hope that this dynamic, searchable, and categorized Goal Bank will be easy to use, helpful, and add to the list of resources that are out there for O&Ms.
ABOUT THE GOAL BANK:
The goal bank is fairly simple and easy to use. To access the goal bank, simply scroll to the menu at the top of the page!
TO UPLOAD A GOAL:
- Go to the “Submit Your Own Goal” tab.
- Fill in your name and display name. Note, your full name will not be shared publicly but your display name will.
- Give your goal an appropriate title. Make it simple, short, and to the point so that it can be easily searchable.
- Select which Skill Category it relates to. At the moment, you can only select one. So pick the one that most closely fits your goal.
- If the goal is targeted for a specific age group, uncheck the “Any” box and use the slider to select the appropriate age range.
- The exciting part: enter your goal!
- If you have a corresponding data sheet, you can upload it.
- Lastly, to make sure we don’t get spam entries, fill in the “Are You A Robot” blank with “Mobility”.
In order to unlock the “Submit” button, all fields marked with a red asterisk must be filled in along with the “Are You a Robot” fill in the blank. It should be quick and easy!
The more people contributing, the larger the resource, the more useful the Goal Bank becomes! Let’s help each other help our students (by reducing the amount of time thinking of new goals).
Not only do we hope to collect a bunch of goals, we also hope O&Ms come to find goals they need.
TO DOWNLOAD OR SEARCH FOR A GOAL:
- To search for a specific goal, type in the “Search” field the topic or category you’re looking for. The goal bank will then populate with all the goals related to that specific category.
- You can also sub-filter the search results by field. For example, you can filter results by age appropriateness, date contributed, name of contributer, and so on.
We hope that by being able to fine tune your search, you will be able to find the specific goal that you want! If you don’t find one, and you end up thinking of one, go ahead and add to the goal bank! Chances are, someone else out there will search for it later on.
TO DOWNLOAD A DATA SHEET:
- If a data sheet is uploaded with the goal, simple click on the hyperlink or blue text and the sheet will automatically download.
- Some data sheets are created in excel with pre-set formulas, so all you have to do is fill in the blanks. The data sheet should auto calculate the results for you.
We hope that by having a collection of data sheets, we can minimize the paperwork and prevent having to reinvent the wheel each time we get a new student.
We hope this Goal Bank will grow into the resource we have always been looking for, but that part will depend on you! With all that said, it’s really easy to use so go check it out!